Saturday, August 14, 2010

To Serve and Protect

Many versions of the housewife's uniform practically and attractively displayed at a recent estate sale.




Useful, pretty, and creatively sewn, in former times these certainly never would have been seen, in or out of the house, in such a rumpled state.




The Champion Stay Open Clothespin Bag, a pre-infomercial as-seen-on-TVesque invention. Another charming attempt to make housework look fun and easy and perhaps even glamorous?


Local author Judy Florence's book - Aprons of the Mid-20th Century: To Serve and Protect is a fascinating read for serious or casual apron collectors. The cover art and subtitle are inspired.


1 comment:

Georgiann said...

I used to have the exact same green apron. I'm pretty sure I had it from teenage years and I'm pretty sure I gave it to Laural to add to her apron collection.