Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Back on the Horse



I took a class being taught by a friend and made this bag from a pattern of her design. Mine is a bit cattywampus, but completely usable. It gets points in the "bright" category, and the best thing about it is that it is finished and not in the to-do pile.

Something happened in 8th grade home-ec class. Hmm...almost recovering the memory...nope, leaving it there. Anyway, these are the first zippers I have put in since that grade screwed up my Jr. High GPA. Note: It was a traumatic year, I also did not wear red for a few decades after the clothing unit teacher told us that it accentuates blemishes.

The same teacher, Mrs. Fretz, lived in our neighborhood and her house was painted Cheerio-box yellow. As little-kids roaming the alleyways and asking annoying little-kid questions we asked her why it was such a brilliant hue. She said it was because they had heard that yellow tends to fade. I should have debunked her color theories immediately, or at least by the time I graduated from high school and the house had not mellowed one little bit.

The bag class was a good experience with a wonderful teacher and, as a result, I am pleased to announce that I am not afraid of zippers anymore.

1 comment:

Honeybee said...

I'm with you, NDL. If it can't be tied or Velcroed, I don't sew it. However, REAL button holes - not the computer-sewn ones where you just slit it open with a seam ripper - were my Home Ec nemesis.