Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Prehistoric Cheese


I can't bring myself to slice into this novelty cheese that we received for Christmas. It reminds me of the ubiquitous Dino logo we would see at Sinclair stations all across America on the endurance driving trips that my parents called family vacations. Even though most of those memories are worthy of repressing I still have a fondness for old Dino. The image of him cut up and spread out on an appetizer tray is as disturbing as that of a chocolate Easter rabbit, ears eaten off, languishing in the basket in June amongst wadded up foil candy wrapper balls and unloved black jelly beans. I suppose Dino will be butchered one day after I have forgotten to go to the store for awhile and someone gets desperate for a grilled cheese sandwich. Maybe if we save his waxy green skin a taxidermy version of the little guy can be made. Then he can continue to greet me with his peaceful, plant-loving brontosaurus countenance each time I open the frig door. Forever.

3 comments:

laural said...

Love it! but what about the cheese, is it green too?

Shaundra said...

I love the staging with the eggs - very cute! This reminds me of the dusty molded soaps that someone I know can't bring herself to use because they're too pretty (name witheld to protect my relationship with in-laws). At some point you're going to have to slice in, or re-gift.

next door Laura said...

I believe the cheese inside is orange Wisconsin cheddar. The expiry date is 12/10 so we have plenty of time to enjoy Dino one way or the other, or(warning)he will still be good for regifting next Christmas. Thanks for the idea.