Friday, June 4, 2010

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency



I have really enjoyed Alexander Mc Call Smith's gentle tales of Precious Ramotswe and her mystery-solving assistant Grace Makutsi of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. Set in Botswana, the novels brilliantly paint a picture of African life and culture while following Mma Romotswe as she untangles the often messy affairs of her clients. In her very humane way she finds solutions to problems that allow all involved to retain their dignity and be given a chance to do the right thing. Seldom if ever are police or attorneys involved, and peaceful resolution is always the end result.

Recently I was able to view the seven episode season of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective agency created by HBO and filmed in Botswana. It is delightful - colorful, rich in detail, and quite true to the books - television unlike anything I have seen before. Here Alexander McCall Smith writes about the day the Ladies' No. 1 Detective Agency came to life.

3 comments:

Mary B. said...

Currently in my possession are the episodes from the Television series. After a very long wait on library wait list. I have been watching them slowly. Thank you for introducing the books to me. I have them at my house and won't be using them this weekend as I am out of town. If anyone wants to watch them I can leave them on the front porch for pick up at your leisure.

Mary B. said...

opps sorry for the misspellings...just mowed the lawn.

Georgiann said...

well, Mary B, I would sure love to nip over to borrow those, but just a bit too far away for a quick trip to CF. Maybe see you at Octoberfest weekend?