Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Olympia

Time stands still at this hometown institution.




Nothing has changed in the 40 years since we spent most Saturdays hanging out here after checking out all the new merchandise at our favorite main street stores. The mirrors above every booth are perfect for surreptitious people (boy) watching.




The cooks are still friendly and efficient.




Each time we visit there is a new crop of fresh-faced waitresses who seem vaguely familiar. Deja vu? Back to the future? Or small town phenomenon? Our waitress this day was the daughter of a high school friend.




Did I mention that NOTHING has changed?




This photo could have been taken yesterday or four decades ago.




Olive nut and cold pork sandwiches, fries, and vanilla phosphates.




Everything is just as it was when we were in Jr. High. The only thing missing - the side order of teenage angst.

4 comments:

Mary B. said...

How is that possible?

Tacitus said...

What? No sign saying WiFi Hotspot? It must be a time warp.
TJW

Charlotte said...

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Still perfect in my opinion...especially having my bff there to split an order of fries with me. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

Georgiann said...

oh MY - it looks just the same as I remember it and inspires almost enough nostalgia to entice me to attend my 45 year reunion in August - just to have the olive sandwich and phosphate. Another memory is of the fabulous heart shaped boxes at Valentines Day. My friends and I would lurk around outside of the front window hoping, hoping, hoping to be the recipient of our favorite style filled with genuine Olympia homemade chocolates.