Thursday, June 24, 2010

Button Love(-In)

I know you all think that when I say I am going to buttonclub it is really a cover for the runs I make the big city to feed my Target addiction. Well, I do really attend the meetings. Okay, I confess some of my incentive to show up has to do with the fact that the meeting venue is within spitting distance of the big bull's eye, and we do usually need milk and eggs, and gnomes and cute shoes and watering cans and picture frames and summer dishware and...

Well anyway, button club is a real thing and there are real, official button collectors who belong to real button societies around the country and world. They get together for annual conventions in each state to purr and paw over each others' beautiful buttons, then they get together for a National Button Society convention and do even more serious button business.

Our state convention was held last weekend in the nearby big city. There were competitive button trays to be admired and speakers to be heard and learned from, but the big draw of the event is always the showroom. Vendors come from across the country to display and sell their beautiful and bodacious buttons. Here is photographic proof that buttonclub is not a figment of my overactive imagination.












I felt compelled to purchase a few bits of physical evidence for further proof. Just a few, really.




A few stencils.




A few vintage button cards.




Some cute boots. Oops!




And maybe a few more than a few modern glass.

Convinced?

No comments: