Monday, March 8, 2010

Buttons and Bows

That's the name of this quilt pattern. The "bows" have not been added to the log cabin squares yet. The buttons are to be sewn over the center squares, but I may skip that step and make up another name for the pattern so I don't have to explain their absence. A friend assured me that this is a good project for using up extra stash fabric. She also insisted that even "the uglies" can be included and they will disappear. We'll see about that.




I have cut and will sew 1480 pieces to make 120 blocks for a twin size quilt. Counting the pieces for a sample square and some mis-cuts the number exceeds 1500. This is not unusual in quilt making, but I can't help thinking how crazy it is to buy new fabric, then cut it up and reassemble it into a quilt. It made sense when quilters were reusing clothing, scraps, or feedsack fabric, but now... nuts. This is the typical and temporary state of mind I am often in at this stage of a quilting project, but when the squares begin to go together my outlook will be rosie again. Check back (much) later to see the end result and tell me if those "what was I thinking when I bought them?" fabrics make or break the finished product.

No comments: