Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Young and the Reckless

Continuing on our mission of using materials already on hand, and with holiday gift giving in mind, we dusted off the sewing machine and cranked out a few sets of these coasters inspired by Joelle Hoverson's book, Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts .




These will not be given to the young people who, we recently learned, have been mocking us behind our backs for our compulsive coaster use (and a few of our other foibles). Hey, a person can't be too careful with the heirloom Target coffee table and priceless Ikea sideboard, and overhead lighting really is intolerable but, well, nevermind, anyway...these are easy to make and nice to have around if you are of the pro-coaster persuasion. The book has many other fun projects that are listed by amount of time commitment from less-than-2 hour to more-than-12-hour gifts. There are still more than 400 hours until Christmas and a huge stash of lovely fabrics...coasters for everyone!

3 comments:

Mary B. said...

love em.

Jerilynn said...

I, too, am mocked on a regular basis for my coaster production. I just think they are wonderful little squares of art and usefullness. Plus, I love that book, too.

Georgiann said...

Although I still use and love the more folded than quilted, and very well used coasters my daughters made for me in the mid 80's, I love these too!! What's wrong with coasters, or more to the point, what's wrong with young people these days if they don't value coasters....?? hmmmm, anyone who has me on their "nice" list and has a few hours and a few bits of fabric.....